Monday, July 2, 2012

Health Scare

Not that I try to be cutting edge, but I do want the best in treatment options! The day I found out I had MS, my Dr laid out the treatment options and I started right ways. I didn't play the wait and see game alot of other people do. Nope! For me, I started on Copaxone right away! One tiny thing I notice within about a year I started to get muscle atrophy. The most affect and noticeable area was my arms. My legs seemed to get it too, but my hips and stomach didn't seem to be phased (that stunk)...if ever an area to disappear THAT area could have gone away and I wouldn't have shed a tear! No such luck! Anyway, after a couple more years and a bunch more shots later (taking every day like a good girl) it really gets old! I see why people just stop. I wasn't going to be THAT girl! Then came a "study"! I still had to take Copaxone the first time through, but there was a PILL they were testing... ah.. sign me up! So with lots of testing, eye exams, MRIs, and blood work like crazy BOOM! It was official... I was cleared to take a new drug! There was/is one little catch... if I go off the drug for too long I have to go to the office for observation when I restart so... they can make sure my heart doesn't stop... hmm... that's not like serious or anything...
Well, fast forward a year! I've been doing ok... as you've followed along- I think I might want to re-read to determine if that last statement holds any real bareing. But all things considering, between work, finishing one degree and jumping into another (I might forget to mention from time to time how crazy I am), juggling the kids, and starting off with my 31 business... I get to now... great you are up to speed! So time for my monthly re-fill and wouldn't you know it the company has changed they need an actual re-fill but don't bother trying to get it. Long story it becomes a huge MESS! Then out of the blue I get a huge chest pain! Call it whatever- stress, anxity, lung issues- whatever! It hurt to breathe and every time I did I thought my chest would collaspe- or something... so I finally did go to the ER (which I might point out I avoid at all costs cause its always a total waste). They get me in right away (mainly because my Brother-in-law works at the hospital and met me at the door) and hook me up and run me through all the "heart attack" tests only to drug me up and send me home to rest. The best part was 5 days AFTER I got out of the hospital my regular dr calls to follow-up and says "we JUST got a fax that you were in the ER, do you want to come in?" Hmm... as inviting as that sounds... Nope, I'm good! My neurologist called me 2 days after (that Monday) to see how I was and what I needed... so I've covered!
If I've learned anything from this WHOLE thing... having a primary care doctor is "nice", but having an EXCELLENT specialty Doctor is what is really important! Everytime I mentioned his name, they either knew him or they were his patient... it doesn't get better than that! Love me some Khanisami!

I like to call this Picture.. "Go Fish"... do you have any 2's... go fish....   Dr. the patient is wondering what is wrong with her... tell her she needs to rest... do you have any 3's... go fish... this Ipad game is SOOO cool!