Monday, August 18, 2014

Summer doesn't end... and that's okay, sometimes

When I moved to Florida from Ohio in March of 2001, I left a cold snap that had left a dusting of white stuff on the ground. My son was wearing a winter jacket, I wore a sweatshirt. Finding out in 2004, after a bout of optic neuritis I had MS "heat" was not going to be my friend, and cold might not be either, I had to laugh.

I left Ohio, and moved to Florida... Hmmm... I knew the cold didn't suit me. It literally hurt and each year that would go by seemed for some reason to get worst. Little did I know my brain was a ticking time bomb.

Now, with this new "heat" thing, part of me laughed, where did I go that didn't have A/C? Oh, yeah, the ball field. I was coaching boys baseball. And my husband was coaching girls softball. I am totally aware of the backwards irony, but it worked for us.  We lived at the field, and that part of my life never stopped. It just changed.

I had a 2 year old that thought that the field was her playground, so keeping her off became a more of a balancing act the first year. I think I promised more "stuff" that year than I had Erik's entire life. Liz was 2 I figured she wouldn't remember... little did I know that I would end up with a child that would keep up for any "MS" fog I ever had.

It's 10 years later and the ball field has never stopped being apart of our lives. And neither has summer.

August is where it normally starts getting cool in most of the country. Its going to be in the 90's today with a feels like temperature in 100's... That isn't cooler.

Liz tried-out with an elite softball team this past Saturday, in the heat of course, and I stayed hydrated. I've learned.

The years have taught me several things...
August happens 
Summer doesn't really end in Florida, it only shifts
...and that is okay...
Missing out on life is NEVER okay
Adjusting to the changes of my MS is necessary to being the very best ME
 and...
I am beyond blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment